Building 21, 777 Forest Street, St. Paul, MN
Building 21 is the former corporate headquarters of the 3M Company which is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
3M, then known as Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing Company, built the 21st of 93 structures from 1910 to the 1960s on its 45 acre campus in St. Paul’s Dayton’s Bluff neighborhood. In 1962, 3M moved its corporate headquarters to a sprawling new campus in suburban Maplewood, where its current world corporate headquarters is a high-rise referred to as Building 220. In 2010, 3M sold its entire original site to the St. Paul Port Authority, which demolished all of the structures except Building 21 and proceeded to sell off the balance of the site for new uses. Building 21 was the first of two projects developed by Exeter Group on the former 3M campus.
- Project cost: $1.00 (acquisition cost) and $7 million (parking improvement and building renovation costs)
- Project size: 75,000 SF building on 4 acre site
- Uses: Office and parking
- Completion: 1939 (original building) and 2016 (renovation)
- Architect: Albert Kahn (original building) and Miller Dunwiddie (renovation)
- Contractor: Viking Construction (renovation)
- Debt: Anchor Bank (renovation)
- Equity: Local investors and Anchor Bank as federal tax credit investor (renovation)
- Tenant: 3M (original building) and Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis (renovation)